Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need; Jehovah is his Name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM0YaQEvrRM

I just walked in from ward choir practice. For the past month we have been learning and practicing the above hymn. Every week I have looked forward to singing this because it strengthens my testimony of the Savior. I get to fill up my bucket. The beautiful message it conveys, renews my spirit. The feeling it gives me is more than words can describe, and my heart is overflowing. I want to share it with you and I hope it will touch you as deeply as it has me. I hope you read the lyrics.
My choir friend told me about the above link. It is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing this hymn at President Hinkley's funeral, (apparently a favorite hymn of the Prophet's). Along with the fab. singing is a video tribute to this exquisite man.

This song touches me to the very core. The message is deep, true and comforting.

Now a plug for ward choirs everywhere. !! If you haven't sung in a choir before or once did, but haven't in awhile, I would like to encourage you to join one today! Especially with Christmas coming around the corner, it will help you feel the spirit and feel the joy only music can bring.

Here are the lyrics:

My Shepherd will supply my need;
Jehovah is his Name;
In pastures fresh he makes me feed,
beside the living stream.
He brings my wand'ring spirit back,
when I forsake his ways,
and leads me for his mercy's sake,
in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death,
thy presence is my stay;
One word of they supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand in sight of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
thine oil annoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may thy house be mine abode and all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest while others go and come,
no more a stranger, nor a guest; but like a child at home.
. . . . No more a stranger, nor a guest; but like a chld at home.

American Folk Hymn
Melody from Southern Harmony, 1835
Paraphrase by Isaac Watts (1674-1740)
Psalm 23
Arranged by Mack Wilberg for the BYU Concert Choir

I know the Savior, Jesus Christ lives. I know he is my redeemer. I love him. -- Kelley

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, what a wonderful post! Thanks for that. I love that song. I guess I need to join my ward choir so I can have "my cup filled." Love you.

Janna said...

Kells, missed you this weekend. I will have to take some time to listen to that beautiful song more often. It is on my favorite CD but I always only listen to Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Thank you for sharing wth us.