Monday, February 15, 2010

JJ's new lease on life











I can just now talk about this with a calm, eternal perspective, just like the next post which will be the passing away of an acquaintance, Elder McKay Burrows, who was serving a mission in Romania and died in his sleep of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. It has been a sobering month for me. Understanding the plan of salvation and grasping onto eternal perspectives makes all the difference. I am thankful for an understanding of these things.

Our boy was driving on the SR-92, the Highland Highway, westbound a few Friday nights ago.
It was a snow storm and he was going, like 45--WAY TOO FAST. He was alone. He felt the car start to glide and lose control, moving into the traffic going eastbound. . . . to avoid a head on crash he cranked the steering wheel and away he went, flying through the air . . . spinning, rolling . . landing by the canal that runs parallel to the road. The car landed on its roof, but facing eastbound. Of course, this all happened in like, 10 seconds. . . Two cars pulled over to help and see if they should call 911.
Out of the passenger window, . . . this creature, covered in straw-like weeds, emerges up the hill. JJ calmly unsnaps his seat belt and exits the car as if it was nothing. Now, both you and I know that the slightest variable of physics, the slightest turn or jerk could've changed everything. Remember, the car landed on the roof, . . . . I mean a head injury, JJ in a vegetative state, paralyzed, decapitated, dead, etc. . . any number of scenarios come to mind.
This is a testimony that JJ's time to on earth is not finished. I honestly, truly feel this way. I feel it's not about luck, it's about him having a work to accomplish or learn something still.
Yesterday JJ gave a talk in sac. meeting. I know he has grasped this for himself. He has learned some insights that I'm thankful as his mother.
Thank the Lord for sparing his life. The thought of David -- the dear twin they've shared everything in life with -- living in the house alone, David going on a mission without JJ, Matt away, serving in Honduras, OMG.....just the what ifs can really get you emotional. We are thankful he's alive.
One thing I've learned lately is the what if questions can really get you down in life. I'll talk about that in next post. Instead, think of the BECAUSE OF declarations as it pertains to Elder Burrows' passing. It'll brings a peace. These are Elder Russell M. Nelson's ideas I'm talking about, I wouldn't want to say I'm smart enough to come up with that on my own.

1 comment:

Brooke and Ryan Naylor said...

These pics are so nasty. I hate it, but I'm so glad that J.J. is alright. That car got a beating!